Artnextdoor's Blog

My place to be creative


Leave a comment

What a difference a weekend makes.

The floorboards went down on Friday morning, much more quickly than I had thought they would; followed by the start of the decorating.  The walls were quickly striped, the paper purchased, the woodwork rubbed down and preparation done.

The decorator, Mark, arrived on Saturday morning at 8 am and worked through until just before 4 so he could pick up the paint before they closed, as it was the paint store owner was tapping his watch, with the place shut up ready to go when Mark got there. 

Sunday saw a slightly later start but needless to say Mark worked through until he was just left with the painting to do on Monday.

Monday he finished his part, cleaned up really well and yes I would recommend him to anyone. We chose the flooring which the builder is going to pick up sometime this week for laying perhaps on Friday if not sooner.  The competent  plumber is to come back as the radiator is still slightly leaking from the valves (that the idiot plumber put in years ago) – I could see water dripping from the joints, they are now wrapped up with cloths as the drip is not too bad but it needs putting right before the floor goes down. 

The builders put in charge of the operation by the insurance company, have all been very pleasant and extremely helpful – I can’t believe they were prepared to work over the weekend.  I would be very happy to let them do work on my house at any time, although the same cannot be said for the restoration/drying company.

I just can’t wait for it to all be finished and behind us, I’ve had enough now and my sewing machine is still calling to me.

Advertisements


Leave a comment

More works in progress from this week

Below are some more pieces I have been working on since last Friday.  Funny how I have achieved more since last Friday than I ever did when working through the City & Guilds in Patchwork and Quilting.  I wonder why that is?


Leave a comment

City & Guilds Patchwork and Quilting

As can be seen in the above images my drawing of perspective is not good.  I never seem to be able to find the same vanishing point for all my lines!

Using graph paper is easier as shown in the image on the right.  The idea here was to draw a block within the distorted square of the cube and find fabric that could be used to represent the colours used in the drawing.


Leave a comment

City & Guilds Patchwork & Quilting Colour Story

Below are some of the images I created for a colour story as part of the City & Guilds in Patchwork and Quilting level 3 certificate.  I started with a painting of a yellow pepper, from this I used the same colours of paint for the swatch as in the painting.  Then I sourced fabrics in some of those colours, before these where arranged to give an impression of the pepper colour arrangement, colour proportion, I fused the fabrics as the pieces where going to be too small to handle with any success.  Once  they were in an arrangement that I was reasonably happy with the pieces were fused to the background.  In the next module I was asked to quilt over the whole piece, (last image on the right.)


Leave a comment

No posts for ages!

 

Well what can I say I have been busy but not with art type stuff until this last week that is. In the last few days I have made a skirt from designing/drafting the pattern to finish in just half a day.  Redesigning/redrafting the pattern for a top and trousers.  Started two watercolour paintings; only one of which I am really happy with, much more work is needed on the second.  I don’t do watercolour but have found this time I actually enjoyed the quickness of this media, this speed was increased due to the heat we have enjoyed (or not!) these last couple of weeks.

my painting

  I used bits of paper that where lying around on the table to collage in places to add a bit of interest.  As I said I am really pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  I am now going to turn this image into a textile piece; first I have scanned the painting into the computer, resized it, prepared cotton fabric for printing by soaking in Bubble Jet Set following the instructions on the bottle, left the fabric to dry then mounted it onto a piece of freezer paper cut to A4. On the leading reverse edge I placed a strip of masking tape to help with the feed through the printer. When printed the piece was left to dry overnight.  Next I am going to re-touch the image using textile paints, including pearlesent and metallic colours, once these are dry and have been heat set I will make a quilt sandwich, quilt and embellish – but that is all for next week along with making another quilt top (I have already designed this whilst writing this blog!), finishing a quilt that has been ready for weeks, working on a knitting project and working on several more paintings.  That I think is enough!