The dining room is still in a state of damp disrepair. The person from the company charged by the insurance company to dry out the room appears not to know what he is doing, as he keeps changing his mind on what is the best approach to achieve the drying. One minute we have a dehumidifier to try to dry out soaking wet floorboards, then we have a fan with a dehumidifier to try to dry out the still soaking wet floorboards which he has now decided will have to be replaced-so why are we still trying to dry them out? Then he decides that the dehumidifier is not doing anything (although he told me that, and we both saw, water was still pumping out of the machine), so he took it and the fan away.
Our dining room without the floorboards, drying out very, very slowly.
Eventually, after he finally sent a request to the builders to remove the floorboards they came along and did the job in less than an hour and a half; they had to work around two large pieces of furniture whilst carrying out the removal, this happened a week last Tuesday. The drying person came back last Wednesday to bring back the fan (no dehumidifier) with the instruction to open all the doors and windows. Ok that’s fine but it has either rained or been extremely cold since, we had also been instructed by the builders not to go into the room as it wasn’t safe, the keys to the doors and windows had been left at the far side of the room!
Yesterday I woke at 5am to find the electricity had tripped out! Well I had to get up to investigate and ended up staying up checking the whole house for the problem (in the dark as someone had moved the torch into the dining room out of reach), eventually we found that it was a socket somewhere causing the problem. Thankfully we have a circuit board that has trips on each section i.e. the lights are on one fused circuit, as is the cooker, garage, shower and door bell; we just switched off the socket circuit and tried to get ready for the day with only one socket. The cooker has a socket associated with its switch so we had a cup of tea.
By 8am I had called the builder, who was already on his way to a major job but turned right around to come and help out. It was a nightmare, he had to check each socket in the whole house to discover the way in which it had been wired up before he could isolate the faulty one. Finally he found it was two in the dining room that had been affected by the damp. The electric to those sockets has been disconnected, therefore no fan, no drying can be done. I did have the doors flung wide open all day yesterday as the builder rescued the keys for me so I could access the doors from outside.
The person from the drying company said he would be back to take some readings from the wet joists on Monday but I have not seen or heard from him since Thursday. His fan is not being used as it can’t be plugged in. I could use a socket in another room and an extension cable but the fan is so loud it hurts my ears, even when the doors are shut. As it’s raining today the doors can’t be opened, I am unable to reach the windows so they are shut too; we are now stagnating. What the heck do we do next, I am seriously fed up with all of it.