I was asked to recycle a piece of textile during this course. My son had out grown the trousers – Ideal opportunity. I cut the legs from the trousers, unstitched the crutch seam so everything laid flat, but still the same boring boy colour, time for dyeing. I didn’t dye the cut off legs just the body of the ‘skirt’, once this was done I set about finishing the bottom off with a close satin stitch. Then added painted, stitched flowers, these where made from the left over legs. Another use for a pair of tatty boys jeans.
As can be seen in the above images my drawing of perspective is not good. I never seem to be able to find the same vanishing point for all my lines!
Using graph paper is easier as shown in the image on the right. The idea here was to draw a block within the distorted square of the cube and find fabric that could be used to represent the colours used in the drawing.
As usual I have put a page link on the left for the images I have posted up until today 18th September including the starting point.
This week has been very weird for me as I have been completely on my own, usually there is one or other of the rest of the family in and out during the day, but not this week. It started last weekend; our oldest son has been working overtime for what feels like months, although in reality he has worked for the last 20 days without a break and is due to work another 8 days before he has a day off. So he’s not been around going out at 7am and most nights not coming home until 7pm, at least he has a job which he thoroughly enjoys so no complaints in that department. Although all working has meant we have had to rearrange family events around him, not a hardship really other than having to park our youngest son at his Grandmas whilst we took our daughter to start her university course in Cambridge.
It is weird that I am missing her more this time than when she went off to Canterbury last September. I am hardly suffering from empty nest syndrome as the others are all still here. She has a flat in the student accommodation with 2 other girls and 2 lads who have yet to turn up. She has enjoyed Fresher’s week but the girls have had to clean the kitchen area of their flats, even though it was supposed to have been done before they moved in. Whilst we were there last weekend I thought things felt a bit icky and I cleaned the area around the kettle. Never mind I am sure it will do her good, she is certainly eating better than I thought, what with fillet steak, cakes, chicken all on the menu so far.
The next event that made the week weird happened on Monday, when our little son went off with his school on a residential trip. He wasn’t originally going to go but changed his mind at the last minute. So he was missing too. Then the husband had to go away to work at the last minute, he won’t be returning until tonight. With number one son working the house has been very empty and quiet. I can understand now why people on their own can’t be bothered to cook for themselves.
Oh well all back to normal, well nearly, next week and no I didn’t take advantage of being on my own to do the clearing out that I know I should have, maybe next week!
To assist with ability to design in the round, this module asked that a box be deconstructed. From this deconstructed box a template was made which was then used to design another box with the same proportions as the original but with a design that continued around the all edges. Although this appears to have nothing to do with patchwork and quilting it is invaluable should you want to make a container in any medium.